Baitcasters are extremely useful for anglers who desire more control than a spinning reel can provide. The good baitcasting reel for flipping and pitching will give you a great deal of control, and you can throw your lure precisely where you want it.
There are many baitcasting reels on the market. To choose the right option, you have to understand its features, your desired fishing style, and your budget.
This article will provide you with the necessary information to get the best baitcasting reel along with valuable tips and suggestions.
Good Flipping Reel And Pitching Reel: What To Consider Before Buying?
The reel is a necessary part of an effective flip and pitch set up, yet we often ignore it. Proper flipping reels make improves your fishing experience a lot.
Look through what makes a successful flipping and pitching reel before getting into our ideal recommendations. The best flipping reel and pitching reel should have these features:
- Lightweight and comfortable for usage.
- Large handle.
- High-quality drag system.
- Made from durable materials.
- High-speed gear ratio.
There is a wide range of baitcast reel to select. However, the best flipping reel and pitching reel is sturdy, flexible, and has a robust drag system so you can rapidly retrieve fish out of any cover.
Best Baitcasting Reel For Flipping And Pitching: 5 Top Picks Of the Year
|Product images||Product names||Editor's rating||Price|
|KastKing MegaJaws||Best Overall|
|Arden Apex||Best For Reducing Arm Stress|
|Enigma Fishing IPPON IPF100||Best For Budget|
|Lew's SuperDuty G Speed Spool||Best For Flipping|
|KastKing Royale Legend||Best For Beginners|
1. KastKing MegaJaws Baitcasting Reel – Best Flipping and Pitching Reel Overall
This Kastking MegaJaws baitcasting reel model has essential shark features that represent the strength and efficiency that most anglers seek.
Its design features a shark tooth hood with a shark fin side and sturdy metal components. These characteristics constantly persuade you of your mastery and accomplish confidence while fishing.
The product has a wide range of applications. Beginners and professional anglers use it frequently because of its extensive feature set. However, this product needs some practice to be more appropriate for experienced anglers with a firm grasp of the sport.
- Because KastKing constructs this item of graphite, it is super light.
- Stainless steel material helps it last longer and is durable over time.
- Carbon fiber drag systems withstand high pressure.
- Anglers may recognize the needed gear-related approaches for particular fishing circumstances using a color-coded customized gear system.
- The gears wear out rapidly.
- The construction materials are not of excellent grade.
2. Arden Apex – Best Flipping and Pitching Reel For Reducing Arm Stress
This unique design has a tight spool and a fixed-line guide. As a result, it eliminates the demand for a balanced air system and improves flipping precision. The overall weight is about six ounces, which should assist reduce arm fatigue.
Beginners and professional anglers can use this Ander baitcasting reel because of its variety of features. However, it needs a certain amount of expertise, making it more suitable for competitive and professional anglers with a firm grasp of the sport.
Ander designs this fantastic fishing reel to provide professional anglers with optimum stability and performance. Tight spools, metal ball bearings, and lightweight construction for sturdiness. As a result, including this instrument in your fishing arsenal would be a wise decision.
- The combination of carbon fiber construction and an aluminum frame ensures long-term durability.
- Small spools and line guides enhance flipping accuracy.
- Lightweight body for arm comfort.
- Expensive compared to others.
- Not very popular all over the world, so not all countries sell it.
3. Enigma Fishing IPPON IPF100 – Good Flipping and Pitching Reel For Budget
The Enigma Fishing IPPON IPF100 is suitable for the highest intensity of competitive bass fishing. The small bait caster design fits well in the palm of your hand for daily use. In addition, the fantastic components make these instruments a dream to fish.
An anti-corrosion body protects the ball bearings for incredibly casting, extended life, and quick recovery. You can use Enigma IPF100 in both saltwater and freshwater.
Because of its great flexibility of features, anglers of all levels of expertise, including novices and professional anglers, favor this reel. However, flipping requires a particular amount of experience needed. Therefore, this reel is best suited for expert anglers who are familiar with its tricks and tactics.
- Light and strong structure
- Durable and appropriate for seawater.
- Dragging is simple because of an adjustable magnet braking mechanism and carbon fiber.
- Not robust enough to shock
- This product is ideal for flipping.
4. Lew’s SuperDuty G Speed Spool Reel – Best Pitching and Flipping Fishing Reel
Lews is what you would like to gain right away since it is super smooth to the eyes. It has distinct qualities that make it a good flipping fishing reels pick for most anglers. One of these qualities is superb casting ability. Because it is anti-rust, you can use it in seawater.
The architecture of this product is both strong and adaptable. Most anglers of various levels of ability and experience may use it because of its vast range of functions.
The flipping procedure is slightly complex and requires a certain amount of expertise. Therefore, it is best suited to competitive anglers who are proficient at flipping methods.
Overall, we highly recommend this product for skilled and competent anglers. The lightweight body of this flipping reels has a robust drag mechanism and a magnetic braking system for efficient casting.
Stainless steel structure helps avoid corrosion. These characteristics with a reasonable price make it an appealing offer for anglers.
- The body is barely seven ounces in weight.
- The drag system is robust enough to catch big fish, with stainless bearings that are corrosion-free.
- Anglers may manually boost the cast control maximum.
- The casting becomes incredibly smooth thanks to its changeable magnetic braking system.
- After each usage, it needs a lot of upkeep.
5. KastKing Royale Legend – Best Flipping and Pitching Reel For Beginners
KastKing Royale Legend is a smooth baitcaster. It is a lot less expensive compared to others. Of course, it is not as durable as others because of lower-quality material. This reel does not last as long as other, more robust reels.
The KastKing Legend features stain steel ball bearings and is super smooth, making it suitable for pitching, flipping, and other applications. It has dual braking control and is ready to fish straight from the factory. Also, it is an affordable flipping reel because of the low price.
However, this is an ideal option to start for beginners. If you want to practice or learn to pitch and flip, cast with this reasonable-priced reels before upgrading to a more robust version.
- Lightweight body.
- Many color options.
- Suitable for newbies.
- Smooth pitching and flipping.
- Lower quality but suits its low price.
- Not durable.
1. Are cheap baitcasting reels any good?
You may worry about an affordable reel’s quality. While it may have been tempting to get a nice reel for just a low price in the past, technologies and manufacturing techniques have improved.
It has been simpler to get a good reel for less than $100. The most necessary thing to consider is its brand. This is because purchasing a cheap reel that is from an unknown brand can be a bad idea.
However, budget reels from reputed manufacturers such as Lews and KastKing will perform admirably. Read the comments from various online shops and pages to get a better understanding and make wiser purchases.
Related Post: 6 Best Baitcasting Reel Under $100
2. How do you stop backlash on a baitcasting reel?
Backlash is the most common reason individuals avoid using a baitcasting reel. Here are a few strategies to prevent or reduce backlash:
- Choosing the suitable equipment: The monofilament fishing line has the least number of backlash.
- If your lure reaches the ground with a backlash, adjust the brakes, or tighten spool tension until the lure lands on the ground creating no circles in the spool.
- Also, when you have already adjusted your baitcasting reel’s spool tension and brakes, casting in the wind might lead your baitcaster to backlash.
Casting across or by the wind is the best-recommended approach to prevent backlashes in this circumstance. Make low and short pitches near the sea or river surface if casting into the wind.
You can use small lures, like standard size crankbaits, to reduce backlashes.
3. What is the best baitcasting reel combo for the money?
We recommend that Abu Garcia Black Max is the best combo for the money.
This baitcasting set includes a high-quality rod and reel that provides maximum sensitivity, durability, and power. We like how slim it is, as well as how simple it is to operate.
Manufacturers compose the durable graphite reel frame to ensure that it will endure longer. There are four rollers and stainless steel ball bearings. They provide reliable and efficient operation each time.
It is a solid option with a reasonably priced medium-heavy reel and rod combo.
4. With a baitcaster, how far can you cast?
Baitcasting is more precise casts than rotating reels allow. So, how far can you cast? While practicing with a baitcaster takes some time, expanding your range by 15-20 yards is easy.
Distance depends on a variety of factors, not simply your reel. Longer throws are much easier with a longer rod.
A thinner line will help enhance your distance, but you may need a more robust line based on the lure weight. Getting into it will also give you a longer casting distance.
Just use a tiny quantity at a time, but the reel may get sticky. You may boost your throws with experience and the appropriate tweaking.
5. What should I look for in a Baitcaster combo?
When purchasing a baitcaster, the very first thing to keep in mind is your budget. Baitcasters can cost anything from $70 to $600. The most necessary aspect to consider when purchasing a baitcaster is the fishing style you want to perform with it.
Will you be pitching and flipping or casting spinnerbaits over great distances? This component will assist you in determining the gear ratio. You may associate faster retrieval rates with higher reel gear ratios.
Determine if the rod or the reel is more necessary to the display when determining the gear ratio. For lures such as crankbaits and spinnerbaits, choose the reel that offers a lower ratio rate.
A higher gear ratio reel is excellent for lures that require the rod to transmit motion, such as worms and jigs. Since it takes up line rapidly to recover the bait and perform another throw to a probable spot, try to hold the reel to ensure it will make you feel comfortable.
6. The gear ratio for flipping & pitching reels
Having a reel with the right gear ratio is a hugely important factor that greatly increases your odds of winning when fishing bass around the pier and in a thick canopy.
A higher gear ratio reel is excellent for lures that require the rod to transmit motion, such as worms and jigs. Since it takes up line rapidly to recover the bait and perform another throw to a probable spot. Try to hold the reel to ensure it will make you feel comfortable.
You want a reel with a high gear ratio when you’re flipping and pitching. The good gear ratio for flip and pitch is 8:1:1 as quickly as possible. A high gear ratio for flip and pitch will allow you to pick up the line quickly and make sure you don’t break when the fish is wrapped around the cover.
7. The line to flipping & pitching reels
Another essential component of the flipping and pitching setup is the line. It will be sensitive, allow you to detect every bite, and strong enough to pull bass out of the most fragile cover.
Most bass anglers will use braid or fluorocarbon or a combination of both.
Flipping and Pitching Line Guideline:
- Braid (50-60lb) = I use a straight braid in muddy or stained water
- Fluorocarbon (20-30lb) = Straight Fluorocarbon, when I hit the ball and do somersaults in clearwater.
- Braid + Fluorocarbon Leader = I use the combo when I want more sensitivity when fishing in clear waters.
8. Tips for flipping and pitching
- Tip 1: The first you need to follow is to use a braided line. When you are flipping, the line is an important thing. A not braided line won’t be helpful when you’re doing the hand upside down. In addition, this series is also resistant to abrasion! They put out the 65-pound test.
- Tip 2: Using heavier bait is key to achieving success while flipping. Heavier lures are bigger, and they’re great for bass. When you use the light decoy, it will create hits. But heavier prey doesn’t do that. Heavier inducers make the bass more susceptible to temptation. Using a deep silvery tone is also a good idea!
- Tip 3: The most helpful thing when flipping is turning your wrist upside down. Usually, people keep the connecting rod in a steady position. But when you’re flipping, the normal position doesn’t give you easy movement. For easy movement, you need to turn your wrist upside down.
- Tip 4: Always try to flip or flip with high-speed reels. These coils are the key to success in these methods. They bring you convenience and speed when fishing.
- Tip 5: Taking slower action is the key to success in flipping. Flipping is almost like throwing your bait right in front of you. If your action bar is too high, it will go far. Besides, the need to act fast can make you confused while flipping and throwing the ball. So our recommendation is to go for a slow-acting rod within your budget.
- Tip 6: During flipping and pitching, always try to keep the variation to your lure size. It helps to confuse the fish. Besides, it improves your pitching ability.
- Tip 7: Try different brands and different colored lures.
9. Baitcasting reel with a flipping switch
Many bass fishing reels are designed for pitching and flipping that has a flipping switch. What exactly is a flipping switch? The flipping switch works by releasing the thumbstick, which saves you from working with the spindle. You can turn the flip switch off and keep it in a conventional style reel. In a regular baitcasting reel, the thumbstick remains recessed, and you have to rotate the handle to pull the reel. With an activated flipping switch, the thumb bar pops up when you release your thumb, making it easy to pull the spindle without using both hands. As soon as your bait falls through the mat, the fish will bite it. So it’s great that you don’t even have to put your other hand on the handle; you drop the thumbstick and jerk to set the hook. This feature is designed to keep you from losing a biting fish immediately before you have a chance to spin the handle and spin the reel. Many anglers love this feature.
Baitcasters allow you to use a thicker fishing line, which is required for particular baits and tactics. It is apparent that each baitcasting reel has its specific advantages. However, the KastKing MegaJaws reel has overshadowed others since manufacturers made it of high-quality material and gave fishers the most incredible flipping experience.
We talked through the best baitcasting reel for flipping and pitching reel in this post. Hopefully, it can benefit you in choosing your favorite product.
Thinking carefully while purchasing a baitcasting reel can assist you in selecting the correct reel. Understanding its structure, such as the gear ratios, the braking mechanism, and the drag, will make you a wiser customer.